Sunday, March 13, 2022

The Decision

No, this isn’t a recap of LeBron James’ televised event in 2010 when he announced he was leaving Cleveland to play basketball in Miami.

This is bigger. Much bigger.

After playing nearly 85 percent of my 1965 APBA baseball season, I’ve finally decided what season to do next. It’s come later than usual.

Those of us who do the season replays understand what I’m talking about. It’s not that we’re bored with the current season we’re doing, but instead we’re always looking forward to the next journey this game takes us on. We may be interested in a certain era of baseball, or a player. Maybe a season piques an interest. Can Roger Maris hit 61 home runs in a replay of the 1961 season?  Can the Cubs hold off the New York Mets in a 1969 replay? Will Dizzy Dean win 30 or more games during 1934?

Generally, I pretty much make up my mind about halfway through a season replay on which season I’ll do after completing the current one. Again, it’s not that I’m bored with the season or tired of it. In my 1965 replay, I’ve reached Sept. 4 and both leagues have close races. Detroit is 2 games behind Minnesota in the American League and Cincinnati holds a 4-game lead over St. Louis and is six games ahead of San Francisco. The Reds and Giants tangle seven times, including a four-game series at the end of the season that will keep any APBA fan glued to the replay.

But like most APBA players, I’ve bought a few seasons over the years. For me, a replay may take 18 to 24 months to play. It may take longer; I began a replay of the 1991 season in August of 2015. A week later, I made a phone call to the woman who would later become my wife. I drove to her home in a northern suburb Chicago to meet her in September and then numerous times over the next several months and my replay came to a screeching halt. Took me four years to finish that season, all while my other seasons sat ready to play.

I began the 1965 season in December of 2021. Now, 15 months later, I’m looking at another four or so months of play before I crown a champion.

A lot of making a replay decision is based upon what I’m reading. Right now, I’m reading Leigh Montville’s book on Ted Williams, so I pondered doing a season with him in it. I’ve played 1942, 1947, 1950 and 1957 - seasons I own that feature Williams. The only other season I have with him is 1954.

But then, I usually read Jim Bouton’s “Ball Four,” his classic look at the 1969 season, in the spring and that inspires me.  And I have Jonathan Eig’s “Luckiest Man,” the biography of Lou Gehrig, and Robert Cramer’s “Babe” on deck to read and I think of pulling out the 1927 season.

This decision, though, came down to two things: Friendship and nostalgia.

I chose 1972 to do next.

 My APBA friend, Shay, whom we email back and forth with our APBA replay updates a lot, is doing 1973 now. I thought we could compare players and see how our seasons are going. She’ll be halfway finished by the time I begin 1972, but we can share observations then.

The other reason goes to old memories and Chicago White Sox pitcher Wilbur Wood. I grew up in Minnesota, and 1972 may have been the first year I was really fully aware of baseball. I didn’t like the White Sox because they were the Twins’ rivals, but for some reason I did like Wilbur Wood. I won a stuffed green toy worm at the Beltrami, Minn., County Fair that year and in honor of that magnificent feat, I named it “Wilbur Wood Worm.”

The worm is long gone, but the memories of that fair and the season are still there.

So, it’s 1972 next. The newly relocated Texas Rangers, the emergency of the dynasty in Oakland, Willie Mays with the Mets, Steve Carlton being responsible for 27 of the Philadelphia Phillies’ 57 victories and more. And there’s that feeling replayers get when doing seasons when we were alive. I’m sure that’ll provide substance for future blogs here.

I still have 260 games left in 1965 and it’s been a great season to do. That’s the lure of APBA. We began playing the games as kids and now, half a century later, we’re still rolling the games, trying to decide what’s next.

4 comments:

  1. Great article! You know, I nearly chose 1972 myself, but settled on 1973 instead. I was tempted by the Tigers winning the east, Carlton's banner season, the last season of no DH, the A's, and some fierce pitching. However, I chose '73 largely because of the crazy NL west and because I had read Mike Shropshire's book "Seasons In Hell" which documents the awful '73 Rangers at length. I like Wood, too, and the CWS of the red pinstripe era. I decided that, even though Allen missed half the season, I would let the Orsino Board decide that. Naturally he got injured for two weeks on opening day. Eek. I think Melton was injured in 72 and I wanted the Wood/Bahnsen/Kaat pitching rotation though Kaat starts with your Twins. I don't understand why they traded him. One guy from '72 that i will be interested in watching is Steve Kline of the Yankees. I don't remember him at all, but it looks like he was as good as anyone that year, and then must have hurt his arm or something cos he fell to a D in 73. In my replay, he recently squared off against a pitcher named Parsons who also went from phenom to bust, or so I read. When setting up the league i saw that name and thought it was Bill Parsons of 65 Mets infamy, but it's a different guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy NL east, I meant, though I do also love that old Reds-Dodgers rivalry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I heard that you have run many replays, the question I have is how do you manage the game? I.e. how to you make managerial decisions for the team you are playing against? Or do you control both teams?

      Delete
  3. For those who didn't know, Fireblossom is the APBA friend I referred to in the blog. If you want to learn how to do a replay right, contact her! Also, Shay! .. I read Shropshire's Seasons in Hell and love it. I bought it at a used book store in Memphis and it's a keeper. I just checked out his second book, "The Last Real Season," from the library yesterday! It's about his coverage of the Rangers and the 1975 season.

    ReplyDelete