Monday, September 5, 2022

1972 Begins

Starting an APBA baseball replay takes some work. I write each team’s 162-game schedule on lined paper; for my 1972 replay I just began, it takes 24 pages. Then, I create pages for batters and pitchers to keep up with home runs, wins, losses and saves and, in this season, strikeouts.

I pull schedules from the website Retrosheet, which provides a day-by-day list of games. These are the games set before the season and because there was a strike at the beginning of the actual 1972 season, my schedule is not reflective of the real one the teams played back then. Like I always say, in ABPA there are no strikes and no rainouts. I play a full 162-game schedule for every team (or 154 game for each team in replays prior to 1961).

It takes some time to prepare a new season.

But then, I tossed that first roll of the iconic red and white dice and all the paperwork is worth it.

In my case with the 1972 season, that first roll was a “32” and Houston Astros’ leadoff batter Roger Metzger flied out to Cincinnati Reds right fielder Cesar Geronimo. Fittingly, the first hit for my 1972 replay came from Pete Rose in the bottom of the first.

The Reds won Game No. 1 of 1,944 for the season, 2-1, when, with one out in the bottom of the ninth, Dave Concepcion hit a sacrifice fly to score Tony Perez.

And so, the season begins. The journey takes off. I logged the score on the Astros’ and Reds’ pages, recorded Jack Billingham’s six strikeouts for Cincinnati and Don Wilson’s 11 for Houston and then set the lineups for the second game, California at Minnesota.

There’s a sense of the voyage you get when you see those team pages. The scores beside the 162 games are all blank now, but you know they’ll start to fill up as the games progress. Two months into this 1972 replay, most of the teams have played 15 or so games. The score ares being tallied and written in. The season moves along.

And, despite only having played about 10 percent of the season, it’s showing promise to be yet another fantastic replay. So far, it has a mix of good pitching and decent batting. For example, I had four shutout games in a row, then John Mayberry hit two home runs for Kansas City and they beat Texas, 6-5. 

In Game No. 111, Nolan Ryan tossed a no-hitter for California, blanking the Rangers, 4-0, and Bobby Darwin hit three home runs for the Twins in Game No. 142.

One of the more offensive games I’ve had in a long while occurred in Game No. 176. Minnesota took a 1-0 lead into the second against Oakland at the old Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington, Minn. But, like in the real season, the Twins’ wheels fell off. Sal Bando and Gene Tenace hit homers in the second and third innings and Oakland scored three more in the sixth to take a 9-1 lead. But the carnage wasn’t over. Reggie Jackson came to the plate with two on in the ninth inning. I noted, in the play-by-play accounts that I sometimes do in my mind during game, that Jackson hadn’t hit a home run yet this season. I spoke too soon. He clouted one out. Then, in the same inning, he hit a three-run shot, driving in a total of five runs in the inning and helping Oakland to a 12-run ninth. The Twins lost, 21-1. Me and my big mouth.

And on the inverse yet again, showing the diversity of this season, Greg Luzinski of the Phillies struck out three times in a row with the bases loaded.

Again, it’s too early to speculate, but Houston and Cincinnati appear headed for a long National League West Division run, as are Pittsburgh and St. Louis in the NL East. So far, Minnesota leads the American League West, just as they did early on in the real season, and New York, bolstered by Mel Stottlemyre’s four shutouts in four starts, is in first in the AL East.

There’s also a personal level with this replay as I reflect back 50 years (hard to believe 1972 is half a century ago). I was in the final months of my sixth grade year at the laboratory school at Bemidji State University in northern Minnesota. By June, I was out of the safety of my grade school and on to the horrors of a much larger junior high school. I was just becoming aware, really aware, of baseball and its statistics. My father gave me a slide ruler (kids, that’s a mathematical tool that predated calculators! You’d line up numbers on various rules to get percentages and other math equations) and I figured out how to do Earned Run Averages and batting averages.

As the uneasiness of leaving my grade school class increased, the games of the 1972 season, especially those of the Twins, helped soothe some of those fears.

So, in addition to an APBA replay, this season is also a trip full of memories and a reminder of how baseball always seems to help the travels of life.

 

2 comments:

  1. Excited to read about this replay… I am in the homestretch of my 1985 NL APBA replay. Already have the 1982 set ready to go with NL and AL….

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there is a lot of set-up before starting a replay, but it is totally worth it--everything goes so smoothly once you start rolling. I have a friend who thinks I am insane to have this for a hobby. She calls it my math torture. But i love the order and symmetry of it all, and of course numbers are such a huge part of baseball, more than any other sport.

    Rick Wise of STL won 4 of his first 5 starts for me in '73. Four shutouts and one game where he came up lame after 2/3 of an inning. Since then he has come back to earth, but what a start, just like your Mr. Stottlemyre.

    ReplyDelete