Sunday, July 24, 2022

1972

Even for an old guy like me, it’s hard to grasp that 1972 was 50 years ago.

It was a busy year in news and culture then and as a child destined for a career in journalism, I paid attention closely to those events.

The war in Vietnam raged on. Astronauts stepped on the moon two more times as Apollos 16 and 17 landed on the lunar surface and it coincided nicely with the release of Elton John’s “Rocket Man.”  The Watergate break-ins occurred in Washington, D.C., that summer, creating a lasting distrust of all politicians, and in September, 11 Israeli athletes were killed by terrorists during the Olympics in Munich, Germany.

The first “Godfather” movie was screened and possibly one of the worst songs ever recorded, America’s “Horse With No Name,” hit the radio. But one of the better ballads of all time also graced the airwaves that year when Eric Clapton serenaded us with “Layla.”

Nineteen seventy-two was also a transitional year for me, an 11-year-old kid living in northern Minnesota when the baseball season began that year. I was wrapping up sixth grade, about to leave my lab elementary school on the campus of Bemidji State University for the big time of junior high.

That year was a pivotal year, going from the peace and serenity of childhood to the stress of living a more regulated life.

Baseball, I found, was a great help during that changing year. I had a hard time adjusting to the bustle of junior high. I was a very nerdy, shy kid who fit in with my elementary school and suddenly, in September 1972, I was thrust into the big time. My first class was held in the adjoining high school building and as a scared nerd that was a daunting adventure.  The only common thing I had left from my more peaceful earlier years was watching the Twins on television. I clung to that baseball season like a shipwrecked passenger clutches a life preserver.

And now, half a century later, I’m replaying the 1972 baseball season with the APBA baseball cards and dice game. For those uninitiated with it, the game uses cards for each player who played in the 1972 season. Rather than the pictured cards that were popular in gum packs back then, these cards have numbers on them that replicate their actual production at the plate. If a player hit plenty of home runs, his card would reflect that with the iconic “1” on the card, indicating a homer. If he struck out often, as did Reggie Jackson or Bobby Darwin on my Twins’ team did, he’d get plenty of dreaded “13s,” reflecting whiffs. Players roll dice and they correspond the results with the numbers on the cards to play the game.

I realize the actual 1972 season was delayed by a strike. I’m going to ignore the strike for my replay and play out the full season as originally scheduled. Like I’ve said before in APBA replays, there are no strikes and no rainouts in my APBA replays.

To further this, the other day I was digging in a closet in search of some old books and came across the paperback Major League Baseball 1972 published by Pocket Books that I bought years ago. It was a preview book of the season, complete with rosters, lineups, schedules and predictions. It had to be a sign I was about to replay the right season. The book predicted Baltimore would face Oakland for the American League title and Pittsburgh and Los Angeles would clash for the National League. It also contains an advertisement offering I could buy a year of Sports Illustrated for $7.90.

So, this replay will be a journey of memories. Readers, be warned I’ll probably ramble on about the old days in upcoming blogs, of remembering some of the stars like Harmon Killebrew and Willie Stargell –who’s batting hitch we all imitated when playing backyard Whiffle ball – and of moments with friends and life back then. I guess that’s what we do when we get older.

Back then, I was playing “replays” of sorts, clanking the magnetic ball on the metal electric baseball game I had, creating batting orders for all American League teams (remember, I lived in Twinsland and didn’t follow the National League) and keeping the standings that I had become obsessed over. I’d read closely the standings in the Minneapolis Tribune (before the merger with the Star) and watch as the Twins took an early lead in the American League West Division before finishing third.

I guess that’s what most of us APBA players do when replaying a season we were alive for. We look back and remember those days. Nineteen seventy-two began with me walking the three blocks from Bixby Avenue to my grade school and ended with me dreading returning to junior high school where they picked on the nerds with little mercy.

Thank goodness for baseball that year. 

Now , if I can only get that stinkin’ “Horse With No Name” song out of my head.

10 comments:

  1. As usual, Ken, great blog. I just started 1963, (I’m almost to the end of April). It was the year I went away to College from Siberacuse, (Syracuse), to Philadelphia. The year I saw my first Major League game.

    Seeing all the old familiar names and following their exploits again sure brings back a flood of great memories.

    APBA is the best hobby on the planet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya. Baseball was a lifesaver for me, an escape from the vagaries of Mommie Dearest and my childhood medical issues. It gave me something organized, quantifiable with all the stats and standings, and at the same time unpredictable within each game. I could count on each scheduled game being played unless it rained and there was something comforting in 3 strikes 3 outs 9 inning, 162 games a year. I largely got my baseball from print and radio back then except for the post-season, and I would pore over the box scores.
    Music was my other great comfort, and I'm afraid i don't share your disdain for "Horse", though it is far from my favorite America song. My fave is probably Sister Golden Hair. I will concede that the lyrics to "Horse" make no sense but that appears to be by design. The song i hated at the time--and still do, if I hear it--is Minnie Ripperton's "Loving You." la la la la eeEEEEeEeeEEEEEEEE. Yikes.
    Best of luck with 1972! Go Tigers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that song was out when the coyote-massacre singer across the street started her warbling America's Got Talent? auditions in her garage. If she was replicating Ripperton, we'd have to move across town immediately!

      Delete
  3. you really think horse with no name is worse than Muskrat Love???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muskrat Love came out in 1976 and it was a bad one, too. Now, I've got that awful "nibblin' on sponge cake" euphemism in my head

      Delete
    2. Muskrat Candle light was recorded in 1972 and released in 72, a cover by America changed to muskrat love in 73 then captain and tenniille in 76.did a cover and released it. Who really cares! I hate muskrats

      Delete
    3. I had no idea America did a Muskrat song. It makes me dislike that group even more. I thought Captain and Tennille were the sole ones to blame for that atrocity.

      Delete
    4. 72 is one of my favorite seasons even though my beloved red sox got screwed

      Delete
    5. That's one reason I'm playing games as scheduled, not as actually played. Boston did get ripped by half a game in the real world.

      Delete
    6. Looking back at it sox were 5-9 against the tigers that year and 4-8 against your twins too, so they screwed themselves

      Delete