Sunday, April 26, 2020

Why We Choose Our Replay Seasons


When choosing seasons to replay with the APBA baseball game, what causes us to pick the years we do?

I am always thinking about the next season replay, not because I am bored with whatever current season I’m involved with but rather because there’s always that excitement about embarking on a new season. It’s a long journey, one the replayer invests a lot of time and energy into. We learn about that season in probably better fashion than any book could give us and as we immerse ourselves into it we live it.

As I am near the halfway point of my 1947 replay, I’m already thinking of the next replay and what adventure it can bring.

Obviously, seasons are often picked because we remember the actual corresponding season. I replayed the 1987 and 1991 seasons because they were both years that my favorite team, the Minnesota Twins, won the World Series. (In both of my replays of those seasons, the Twins did not win the crown. They didn’t even make it to the 1987 contest as they were beaten out of the American League West by Kansas City). I also bought the 1969 season because that was the first year I became really aware of baseball. And, of course, reading Jim Bouton’s “Ball Four,” his diary of his 1969 season with the Seattle Pilots, is a huge motivator for replaying that year.

I also bought 1972 to recapture the feeling I had as a kid in Minnesota that year. I was finishing sixth grade and headed to junior high that year and I was keeping a close eye on the Twins. Oakland won the West Division that year and the World Series. The Twins finished at .500 in 1972, but it was a good year for me as a youngster.

But on taking inventory of the seasons I do own, I realize half of the ones I have are of seasons before I was born. Granted, there are many APBA players who have far more seasons than I have. And there are those who buy new seasons each year for league play or just to collect them. I though, have picked the seasons for various reasons.

Here, then, are the seasons I have and the decisions on getting them over the 22 years I’ve been rolling APBA baseball games.

1901 and 1906 - Back when I had expendable income and connections with good APBA sellers on e-bay, I got these seasons for the historical aspect. 1901 was the first year for the American League. 1906 featured the great pitching of the Chicago Cubs.

1919- I was reading Al Stump’s “Cobb,” his take on the irascible Ty Cobb, and, while realizing much of the book was more fiction than reality, I decided to impulse buy the 1919 season. I called the company, ordered the season and when it arrived I remember seeing the box in the garage and feeling like a kid at Christmas. Whatever gift at adulthood can replicate that feeling?

1925 and 1927 – I had to have a season with Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig. I got the 1925 season early on in my replay career; it was the year Babe Ruth missed a load of games for whatever ailment you want to believe. Stomach ache, pneumonia, syphilis, et al. I played half the season and got bored with it because I played three-game contests rather than day-by-day. I never got the feel for the season. Recently, an APBA friend sent me the 1927 season. I’m reading Jane Leavy’s “The Big Fella,” her book on Babe Ruth’s barnstorming after winning the 1927 World Series now, and it’s a motivator to roll that season

1932 and 1934 – Again, I got these for the historical aspect. The 1934 St. Louis Cardinals’ Gas House Gang, Jimmie Foxx’s 1932 Philadelphia As, Rogers Hornsby…

1942 and 1947 – I bought 1942 to have a Joe DiMaggio season. Holly, my Illinois gal, bought me 1947 for Jackie Robinson’s first season.

1950, 1954 and 1957 – This is one of my favorite eras of baseball. Mickey Mantle, Henry Aaron and Willie Mays were all stars during that decade. 1957 was the second replay I had ever done and it gave me that feel of what replayers enjoy.

1961, 1964, 1965 and 1969 – These are all seasons that I was alive for. Of course, 1961 is Roger Maris’ 61-home run year. 1965 is the Twins’ World Series clash with Sandy Koufax and the Los Angeles Dodgers.

1972, 1974, 1976, 1977 and 1979 – See a pattern here? I think the 1970s are my favorite decades. The Twins had dismal seasons, but there were those Cincinnati Reds and Dodgers teams. And Henry Aaron hit his 715th home run in 1974.

1981, 1985 and 1987 – 1981 was the strike-shortened year and I wanted to see what would happen if I played it as if there were no stoppage of play. I bought 1985 for the Cardinals and Milwaukee Brewers World Series.

1991 and 1998 – 1998 was the first season I bought from ABPA. It was before I got into replaying earlier seasons; I had done basketball, football and hockey replays of current seasons before but never got into doing earlier seasons until after I completed 1998 and realized APBA’s baseball game was really a good idea.

2001 – APBA issued a set to commemorate the 50-year anniversary of the game company. The cards are not on the larger cardstock that the rest are printed on but instead on slick, smaller, playing card-sized ones. I probably will never replay the 2001 season, not because of the difference in cards, but the season never interested me.

Each season has something interesting. They all provide learning experiences and months, if not years, of enjoyment.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting stuff! I have over 800 games left in my 1979 replay, but am already pondering what's next. 1938, 1948, 1955, 1959, 1962, and 1973 are all possibles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1979 is a season on my horizon, too. I was born in Pittsburgh, so I have a fondness for the Pirates. And, a funny story about that Series. I lived next door to a massive pothead in a trailer park in Batesville, Ark., then while going to college. He invited me to watch Game 4 at his place. He was already stoned out of his gourd. When Willie Stargell came up to bat, I said he was due for a home run. Stargell then hit a home run and the stoner was convinced I could predict the future after that..

    ReplyDelete